What happens when you can’t manage your SMSF?

All / 12.08.2021

What happens when you can’t manage your SMSF?

More than 1.1 million Australians manage their superannuation via a self-managed superannuation fund (SMSF) structure. Many are motivated by the desire to have control over their own money, the potentially lower costs, or the option to make investments that aren’t available to members of public offer funds. Whatever the reason, if you are a trustee of a SMSF, have you stopped to ask yourself, “Who will look after my super if I can’t?”

Members of SMSFs tend to be older than the population as a whole. While we are living longer and healthier lives, many people will reach the stage where they are no longer able to properly look after their financial affairs. Due to the high regulatory requirements controlling SMSFs, the penalties for not managing your fund correctly may be substantial. So what are the options?

Rely on the other trustees

If the fund has more than one member, is the other trustee(s), or directors of a corporate trustee, able to manage the fund? While it’s common for a SMSF to have two members, usually spouses, it is often the case that only one knows what’s going on. With single member funds, it is possible to appoint a second, non-member trustee, but it is important that they have the skills to run the fund if necessary.

Appoint an attorney

Whatever your circumstances, you should provide an enduring power of attorney to a trusted and informed person. This allows them to step in and manage your affairs if you can’t. However, if your attorney is to help manage your SMSF, he or she needs to be both willing and able to do so.

Switch to a small APRA fund (SAF)

A SAF is similar to a SMSF but with an external, professional trustee. While SAFs offer most of the benefits of SMSFs, trustee fees can increase the costs of running such a fund.

Rollover to a managed superannuation fund

While a retail or industry superannuation fund will restrict your investment options, for example not allowing you to hold direct property within your super, all of the administration and many of the investment decisions will be made by professional managers. Overall fees may be higher with these funds, but they take the weight of fund management off your shoulders.

Use an adviser

A qualified financial adviser with the appropriate systems in place can help you manage your SMSF. In the event that you lose the ability to make decisions about your fund, an adviser can also assist other trustees or your appointed attorney. Depending on the size of the fund, the overall cost of using an adviser can be less than the total fees charged by managed super funds, while ultimate responsibility for fund compliance remains with the trustees.

It can be difficult to decide when the time is right to hand over the reins of your super to someone else. It’s important to make plans, discuss them with your fellow trustees or your attorney, and to seek professional advice as to the best way to ensure your super will be well managed if you can no longer ‘do it yourself’.

For more information or to speak to one of our Financial Advisers please contact TNR Wealth Management on 02 6626 3000.

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. The information and any advice in this publication does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs and so you should consider its appropriateness having regard to these factors before acting on it. This article may contain material provided directly by third parties and is given in good faith and has been derived from sources believed to be reliable but has not been independently verified. It is important that your personal circumstances are taken into account before making any financial decision and we recommend you seek detailed and specific advice from a suitably qualified adviser before acting on any information or advice in this publication. Any taxation position described in this publication is general and should only be used as a guide. It does not constitute tax advice and is based on current laws and our interpretation. You should consult a registered tax agent for specific tax advice on your circumstances.